Chewelah Real Estate - Find Your Perfect Home For Sale!
Chewelah - Town vs. County Stats
Avg Price in Chewelah: $330,600/Co. / County Avg $335,700
Avg Taxes in Chewelah: $1,100/Co. / County. Avg $800
Avg Sq. Ft. in Chewelah: 2,883/Co. / County Avg 2,785
Avg Price per/ft2 in Chewelah: $115/Co. / County Avg $121
Avg Walkscore in Chewelah: 20 / County Avg 20
Avg Year Built in Chewelah: 1988/Co. / County Avg 1978
Avg Days on Website in Chewelah: 113/Co. / County Avg 149
Chewelah Real Estate Market Health
In 1873, Thomas and Mary Brown founded the town of Chewelah. They continued using the Salish name for the area as a reference to the winding patterns of the rivers that flowed through the Chewelah Valley. Chewelah was officially incorporated on February 4, 1903.
Chewelah is a town of firsts in Stevens County. It had the first Protestant Congregational Church in 1891, the first school in 1869, the Spokane Falls and Northern Railroad arrived in 1889, a Catholic church was established in 1885, and the first county newspaper was founded in July 1885.
Initially Chewelah was a typical pioneer settlement, being an agricultural center as far back as the early 1870s and having its share of prospectors working the adjacent countryside as early as 1842. The town was platted in 1884 and became known for being a rough and tumble mining town; the first lead and silver mines were established around 1886, and others followed in Embry and surrounding areas.
By 1905 the population had reached 650 souls, and within a few years many prosperous copper, silver, lead and a few gold mines were flourishing in the area. The most successful ore mined in Chewelah was magnesite. This mineral was used for making bricks and furnace linings that could withstand high temperatures. Magnesite was also an important ingredient for making high-quality steel that was in high demand during World War I. Austria had previously been the main provider of magnesite for the country, but production was interrupted by the War. By 1916 Chewelah's plant was said to be the largest producer of magnesite in the country, and at full production was the largest producer in the world, shipping some 700 tons daily. During the war there were as many as 800 people working at the plant making high temperature-resistant refractory brick.
By 1920 Chewelah's population had grown to 1,600 people and continued to prosper until the late 1960s. In 1968 the magnesite plant closed down due to cheaper competition from Japan and changes in the steel industry. Despite this major change, Chewelah survived the transition from being a "one-company town," and today Chewelah has several thousand residents and displays a pleasant blend of the past and future. With its moderate climate, dry land, and irrigated farming, ranching and dairy farming continue to be mainstays. Chewelah's diversified economy also includes a ski hill and golf course, among other industries.
|Areas in Chewelah WA|